The Department of Oral Medicine, Sedation and Maxillofacial Imaging of the Dental Faculty in the Hebrew University - Hadassah is the largest of its kind in Israel and combines clinical care, research and teaching. The department is a secondary and tertiary center that provides unique services at the national and international levels. The department's specialists and researchers are well-known in their fields of interests in Israel and worldwide.
Areas of interests
- Oral mucosal diseases of local pathologies and manifestations of general diseases of the mucous membranes of the oral cavity and lips, including infectious phenomena (fungi, herpes viruses and others), autoimmune diseases such as pemphigus vulgaris, lichen planus, pre-malignant and malignant neoplasms.
- Salivary gland diseases including inflammatory conditions, sialadenitis, sialosis, xerostomia and hyposalivation due to chronic medication intake, systemic diseases, chemotherapy, radiation and biological therapies, autoimmune background. A Center for the treatment and research of Sjogren's syndrome oral manifestations.
- Center for diagnosis of taste and smell disorders
- Craniofacial imaging
- Chronic and severe pain in the mouth, face and jaw area and sensory changes in the face
- Control of anxiety and pain in dental patients under sedation and general anesthesia, such as: increased vomiting reflex, hyperactivity, lack of cooperation due to illness or medical condition, and people with special needs.
- Consultations to the in-patients hospital's departments in the field of oral medicine in a variety of subjects, such as oral complications in hematologic and oncological patients, jaw bone necrosis, expression of graft-versus-host disease and oral mucositis.
- Dental treatments are performed in complex medical patients such as patients with heart disease (heart failure, ischemic heart disease, valve replacement etc.), vascular diseases (stroke etc.), diabetes, liver and kidney diseases including dialysis patients, allergy to local anesthetics and dental materials, preventing the spread of oral diseases, hepatitis and HIV patients.
The department is located on the entrance floor of the Faculty of Dentistry
Department of Teaching Affairs only: Ms. Dorit Har firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 02-6776140 Fax: 02-6447919
For appointments: 02-6778100 02-677-6151 / *4587
Email of Prof. Aframian, Departments' Chair: email@example.com
Some of the treatments are covered by the health basket.
Oral Medicine specialization program for graduates
The Oral Medicine Department deals with the diagnosis and treatment of various oral diseases, which are a manifestation of local or general disorder, maxillofacial radiology and general dental treatment for patients at medical risk. In addition, oral medicine promotes the use of advanced methods to relieve anxiety and stress in adults through sedation and general anesthesia. Oral medicine also involves diagnosis and treatment of facial pain and jaws.
The department trained and trains the largest number of interns in Israel in the field of oral medicine